The mission of Project Grow is
“Cultivating opportunity, education, and inspiration in our community to value, access, and grow healthy food.”
Founded in 2011, Project GROW is celebrating our 10 year anniversary!
In our 2021 season:
* We grew over 2,000 vegetables, herbs, and flowers from seed in conjunction with the Athens and Waverly schools. We again offered an after-school Garden Club program with over twenty 7th & 8th grade students at Waverly Schools in attendance. The students worked outside mostly and also planted outside gardens near the school.
* We held our Annual Heirloom Plant Sale in which we provided our local community with mostly organic, non-GMO veggies, herbs, and flowers for their home gardens. We got rave reviews from our friends, neighbors, and supporters on the performance of our plants!
* We planted all three of our community teaching gardens in Waverly, NY and had an abundant harvest! We hosted some new and also returning experienced volunteers on our leased garden properties. We’ve been putting in extra effort in our garden spaces to beautify and improve them. The neighbors are noticing and we received lots of compliments about how beautiful the gardens looked this season!
* We hosted a local artist at our Lincoln St. garden space for the first time and offered garden tours. We’ve decided it is a perfect match! We will plan to work with her and other artists in the future. We may expand to offer music and vendors for a day or two next season!
* We participated in the Guthrie’s Food, Farm, Family Fest and offered free garden fresh recipes samples, fresh produce for purchase, and raffled a piece of artwork from local artist, Vanessa LaDue. We also had a contest in which attendees could pick a flower from a vase for the opportunity to win a Project GROW apron!
* We harvested over 300lbs of fresh, nutritious clean food which was donated to local food pantries including one that is specific for seniors. We worked with local churches and also offered almost 200lbs of produce to volunteers as part of their work share.
* We already have over 400 garlic planted for next season!
Come GROW with us!
Penn-York Valley Project GROW
Like us on FB @ valleyprojectgrow
We plan to continue to:
- Build, expand, and improve our community teaching gardens
- Educate the youth of our region by teaching them how to grow their own food, maintain healthy gardens, and prepare their own snacks and meals!
- Grow healthy food to share with everyone in our community, including local pantries and soup kitchens, doing our very best to make sure that we are all fed (especially those who are food insecure)
We feel GRATITUDE for all of those who have supported our mission in so many ways. Some have shown up at the garden to lend a helping hand, some have shared their individual talents behind the scenes, some have baked goodies for those working in the gardens or for Project GROW events, and some choose to support our programs with a financial donation.
If you feel that you would like to support our good work in the community by making an online donation, click the following link for an easy, secure way to donate: paypal.me/ProjectGrow
Stay posted for upcoming Work Bees!
We offer a share of the harvest for work hours in our gardens (as available, seasonal) and are more than happy to sign off on community service hours for a job well done.
Come meet some really great folks and learn more about Project GROW and ongoing volunteer opportunities!
We are always recruiting garden volunteers during our growing season May-September. Volunteers needed for watering, mowing, weeding, harvesting and local pantry delivery July-October. All hands on deck again in mid-October (until snow falls) when we put the “beds to bed” for the winter again. That job involves a lot of shoveling leaf mulch onto the beds and planting garlic for next Spring!
We are always looking for volunteers to lead seasonal food preservation workshops or teach classes on interesting subjects related to gardening and nutrition throughout the year.
Interested in volunteering or would like to be added to our mailing list?
Contact us and we can work hard to improve our community together!
Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 570-731-3101.
What are you waiting for? Come GROW with us!
Come help us dream and envision new ways that we can continue to improve the health and well-being of our local community….
If you would just like to follow us and find out what we are up to…..
Like us on FB at valleyprojectgrow
*there is also a “Project GROW Volunteers” group for active volunteers
Follow us on Instagram: valleyprojectgrow
Send us a tweet…on Twitter: PYVProjectGROW
Thank you in advance for your feedback and of course, for your dedication to helping to support Project GROW! Great things are sprouting….don’t you see?